My go to Healthy Russian Borsch Soup
The best thing about this soup is that it’s perfect for those cold winter days.
I know in some parts of the UK at the moment it’s getting to below -5. So, on a cold day it’s so nice to have a bowl full of healthy soup. I will have this all year round mind you. This is my go to recipe for Russian Borsch. A soup made of Beetroots and Cabbage.
To make the Borsch you’ll need.
- 2 large or 3 medium Beetroot, washed and shredded.
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1.2 Litres beef broth/stock
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- sour cream,
- Cook beets, carrots and onion in the beef broth for 20 minutes.
- Add cabbage and butter, and cook uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Now let it sit, for an hour or so. Sometimes I just can’t wait to eat it, so if you don’t leave it, it’s ok.
- Reheat or leave at temperature and serve with sour cream.
- I find the soup does taste better the next day.
Other useful Information:
To add Extra protein to your soup you can make the Ukrainian version and add 1 can of Kidney Beans with their juice. Some people like to add potato to it too. I will always add Sweet potatoes as it’s much better for you.
For more free recipes Subscribe to the Feel Great Now Newsletter Here.